Tuesday, February 21, 2012

paper architecture



When I was in Art College, one of my majors was print making. I study etching, lithography and silkscreen. Every terms I have a produce an edition print of no less than 25 prints and every prints has to be exactly the same from number one to number 25. I sent hours working on my prints in the print studio. On my graduate year, my hard work paid off, I was awarded the most outstanding print maker that year. However, as soon as left college my print making career was ended as well
I was busy to earn a living and to pay back my student loan and making print was the last thing I was thinking about. There was not much outlet to sell my prints or jobs for a printer maker. The closest job for a print maker was silk screen t-shirt printer. I kept most of those prints in my parent’s basement. All together I think I must have at least a couple hundred prints.
Later, I moved out from home into my own apartment. I was too poor to purchase some blinds for my windows; I made my prints into window blinds. Even that were years ago but some friends would tell me they still remember those beautiful hand- printed window blinds I had.
All of sudden last night, an idea came to me; I started to cut up some of my prints and gave them a new life. I had turned them into paper architecture cards.

No comments: